- Wow! Small fields at the first Colorado cross race of the season, but some serious horsepower!
- To those giving me crap about @, My USAC Cat 1 CX rank is higher than at least 10 racers with UCI points. Only 4 UCI races in CO.
- Apparently finishing on the lead lap last year isn't enough for Elite @. I'll just have more to prove in the Cat 1/2/3 race.
- Still waiting for confirmation from @ for my 'upgrade' to race UCI Elite. Hoping I don't have to sandbag the 1/2/3 race.
- I also probably shouldn't have drank all that beer after my ride yesterday... but I have to get my liver ready for cyclocross too!
Blog Post Calendar
- Today's ride began w/ a bit of fatigue ->poor fueling ->bonk ->tough day. 5hrs, 3800kJ, 240TSS, 230NP, 7500' vert. 2.5hrs in survival mode.
- Yesterday I practiced 'Cross skills with some teammates. Low TSS from the Red Power Meter (16 points), but a little sore from the movements.
- More tired than expected after yesteray. Called off my sub-threshold climbing after ~30 minutes. Totals: 1h:40m, 1100kJ, 240NP, 90TSS.
- Long, easy, fun MTB ride with friends. 5 hours, 3500 vertical ft, 35 miles, 2000kJ, 195 hrTSS (TSS estimated from HR, no power on MTB).
- Off day. Reminder: my 'personal' (but bike related) twitter handle is @. Full details of all rides also at
- Today: CX bike 'epic': 1.5 hours MTB trails, ~60 min (in total) sub-threshold climbs. Total: 5h, 71mi, 7500', 3300kJ, 182w, 240NP, 250TSS.
- Yesterday: 2k running race (for fun... mostly) 7:30 (6:04 pace). Got my but kicked in 'competitive'... about 30th place out of 40 guys.
- Today: Easy, flat 2h road ride, 32.5 miles, 17 mph. 58TSS, 158w avg, 183NP, 1100 kJ.
- Yesterday PM: 4h CX bike ride including singletrack, and a long climb at sub-threshold. No power for the CX bike (yet).
- AM Run: Easy: 2 mi, 10:00 pace, 118 avg HR - First run in about 6 months. Going to hurt in a few days...
Tag Archives: tactics
This race is another of my favorites (aren’t they all?). The course is in Longmont’s Prospect neighborhood. Longmont is a half hour east of Boulder and is a mid-western style town: flat, boring, an almost-cute but more run down Main … Continue reading
The local training criterium series has been a lot of fun this year. I missed out last year since I was working every Wednesday night, but this year I’ve made it to a few of the races and had a … Continue reading
Our newly formed break was driving down the eastbound leg of the course. We were working well together to establish our advantage. Our first task was to stay clear of the riders feeling left out in the peloton. Potentially, if … Continue reading
I’ll use the outcome of this race to detail some crosswind strategy beyond “crosswind = attack”. I’ll use the outcome of this race to demonstrate that on an exposed road race course with constant but varying crosswinds, small changes in … Continue reading
Last race’s long breakaway got me thinking about some of the techniques used when riding in a small group. I am also racing a Team Time Trial this weekend where some of these techniques will be applicable. The basic version … Continue reading
If you race, you should watch pro racing. There is a lot of insight to be gained from watching the strategy play out during a race. However, pro racing contrasts with most weekend warriors in a few important ways: Length … Continue reading
With winter in full force, I thought I’d put up a quick race strategy post. I hope this will give the racers out there a little extra motivation when out training, and possibly spend some time on the road visualizing … Continue reading
The Morgul Bismarck may now be called the Morgul Road Race due to some overzealous trademark issues, but that doesn’t make the course any less famous. First of all, it is a racecourse with its own Wikipedia Page. Secondly it … Continue reading
I enjoyed the Summit Criterium course last year and was happy to see it again. The course features five corners. The first left hand corner is after the significant hill on the home straight, so it is taken at a … Continue reading